The Beckman Scholars Program, funded by the Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation, helps stimulate, encourage and support research activities by exceptionally talented, full-time undergraduate students who are pursuing their studies at accredited four-year colleges and universities in the United States. The Beckman Scholarship is a prestigious one, providing a total student stipend of $18,200 plus $2,800 for research supplies and travel support over the course of the 15-month experience. One to three Beckman Scholars may be selected annually.
The UA Beckman Scholarship Program gives undergraduates funding and support to conduct in-depth research with one of 15 UA Beckman Mentors in UA’s College of Science on a full-time basis for two consecutive summers, and part-time during the intervening academic year. UA Beckman Scholars work on a project of interest in their selected mentor’s lab and engage in professional development activities including serving as peer facilitators at the annual UBRP Ethics Retreat, leading undergraduates in small group discussions during the summer, inviting and hosting an eminent scientist to give a seminar at UA during the academic year, meeting with Beckman Mentors, and serving as student leaders within the Undergraduate Biology Research Program. Learn more about our UA Beckman Scholars and their work here.
Eligibility for the 2020-2021 UA Beckman Scholars Program
To apply to UA’s Beckman Scholars Program you must:
- Be a University of Arizona full-time undergraduate student majoring in any biological or chemical science.
- Be a sophomore or junior at the time of application, graduating in May 2021 or later.
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5.
- Be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident of the United States.
- Be willing and able to devote Summer 2020 and Summer 2021 (both full-time) and the intervening 2020-2021 academic year (part-time) to working on a research project.
- Be willing and able to participate in the Beckman Foundation’s summer symposium, held in Irvine, CA, for both summers (travel expenses will be covered).
- Be willing and able to serve as a summer small group leader and peer facilitator for Undergraduate Biology Research Program (UBRP) participants, and engage in the professional development activities associated with this program.
To apply for the UA Beckman Scholars Program, visit our UA Beckman Scholar Application Process page. Applications for the 2020-21 program are due 4:00pm on Wednesday, February 19, 2020.
Please contact Jennifer Cubeta (email@example.com) in the Undergraduate Biology Research Office at (520) 621-9348.