UBRP has amassed a diverse and impressive group of program alumni over the past 13 years. According to our records, 715 past UBRP students have received bachelor's degrees and of these:
-145 students are in medical school (20%);
- 87 have finished medical school and are in medical residencies (12%);
- 11 are in MD/PhD programs (1.5%) and one has finished his MD/PhD;
- 121 are in doctoral programs (17%);
- 15 are in postdoctoral positions (2%);
- 85 are working in research laboratories as technicians or scientists (12%);
- 14 are teaching (2%);
- 36 are in masters degree programs in the sciences (5%);
- several are in law or dental school or have entered one of the allied health professions; and
- others are involved in publishing, business, and other interesting ventures.
So what is wrong with this picture? Nothing except that we suspect it is not completely up-to-date.
As we approach UBRP's 12th Annual Poster Conference on January 20, 2001, we are eager to update the list of "current" activities of past students. We know, for example, that some of you who graduated in the early 1990s went to medical school, and you MUST have graduated, but if we haven't heard from you, we still think you are in medical school. Many of you who entered graduate school have probably finished your degree. We suspect that those of you who went directly into the workforce after college are not doing the same job you were when we last heard from you.
SOOO..., this month, we have attached to the newsletter a list of graduates with our most current information. Would you please take a minute to make sure that:
- you are listed if you are an alum.
- the information about you is correct.
- you let us know if you see someone on the list whose information is incorrect, and provide us with the correct information.
It is always wonderful to hear from UBRP alumni, and we appreciate your offers to answer questions for current students, to participate in Biology Career Day and UBRP Orientation, and to contribute to the newsletter. As we approach the end of another year, we look forward to hearing from all of you.
Carol Bender email@example.com